MALAYSIA’S PARTICIPATION IN THE 16TH CHINA-ASEAN EXPO (CAEXPO), NANNING, AND MALAYSIA WEEK 2019 IN SHANGHAI, PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA (PRC) 19 TO 22 SEPTEMBER 2019
YB Datuk Darell Leiking, Minister of International Trade and Industry will lead the Malaysian delegation to the 16th China-ASEAN Expo (CAEXPO) in Nanning and Malaysia Week 2019 in Shanghai, China from 19 to 22 September 2019.
2. Malaysia’s participation at the CAEXPO 2019 is significant as 2019 marks the 16th Anniversary of ASEAN-China Strategic Partnership. The theme of the 16th CAEXPO is “Building Belt & Road Routes, Realizing Our Vision for Community of Shared Future.” The CAEXPO provides the platform for companies from Malaysia and ASEAN to showcase their products and services to enhance exports to China as well as among ASEAN countries.
3. The Malaysia External Trade Development Corporation (MATRADE) is spearheading the participation of 167 Malaysian companies that represent various sectors including Food and Beverages, Health and Wellness, Lifestyle and Services.
4. In 2018, Malaysia’s total trade with China was RM313.81 billion with growth recorded at 8.1 per cent as compared to RM290.40 billion recorded in 2017. Total exports from Malaysia to China were valued at RM138.88 billion while total imports was recorded at RM174.93 billion. China remained as Malaysia’s largest trading partner for 10 consecutive years since 2009.
5. For the past 15 years since its inception, CAEXPO has been a key platform to promote and facilitate the access of Malaysian small and medium enterprises’ (SMEs) into China and ASEAN market. It is important for Malaysia to continue to promote exports to China.
6. In Shanghai, YB Minister MITI is scheduled to attend the Closing Ceremony of the ‘Malaysia Week 2019’ programme on 22 September 2019. The ‘Malaysia Week 2019’, which will be held from 16 to 22 September 2019, is an on-line campaign organized by Alibaba Group in collaboration with the Government of Malaysia, with the key objective of promoting and driving exports of Malaysian products and brands in China’s market, via the Alibaba ecosystem.
7. Malaysia’s preparation for this year’s campaign is coordinated through the Malaysia Week Implementation Task Force, which was jointly led by MITI and Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation, supported by key Ministries and agencies, namely the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture, the Ministry of Agriculture and Agro-based Industry, MATRADE, Tourism Malaysia and the Federal Agricultural Marketing Authority. Among key promotional activities jointly organised by Malaysia and Alibaba Group throughout the campaign are promotional on-line banners across relevant Alibaba portals, a dedicated on-line country pavilion, and the role of Key Opinion Leaders in China to promote the Malaysian products and brands and on- line/off-line media communication.
For further enquiries you may contact:
ASEAN Economic Integration Division
Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI)
Level 18, Menara MITI
No. 7, Jalan Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah 50480 Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA
Telephone Number : (603) 6200 0371
Facsimile Number : (603) 6206 1466
E-mail address : firstname.lastname@example.org
Ministry of International Trade & Industry
19 September 2019